Friday, August 17, 2007

The Sound of Silence

I remember riding in a car with my grandparents as a little girl. Specifically, I remember wondering why they never had the radio on. Didn't old people like music? (Afterall, my grandmother was a totally ancient 44 when I was born.) How could they stand all that quiet?

Lately, I find myself driving without the radio and cherishing every peaceful second. Why is quiet all of a sudden desirable?

These are my observations:
  • Now that Kendall has found her voice, a question or chorus of "Mommy" is always in the air. After being so worried about her, I love hearing her endless chatter, but it is incessent.
  • As my work life gets more stressful, uninterrupted blocks of time at the office have nearly disappeared.
  • And now that we have graduated to the 4 yr old toys, something electronic is always making noise or "talking" to us - whether said 4 yr old is playing with it or not.
The twenty minutes of silence I have while commuting to/from work have turned into cherished moments of my day. As a result, I have become completely uninformed (as I used to get a majority of my news from the radio), I have fallen out of touch with top 40 music, and my knowledge of local events has completely diminished.

Does that make me old?

Probably.

3 comments:

#1 Buckeye Fan said...

Shella, I hear you on the peace and quiet. Sometimes quiet is a good thing.

Hugs,

Steph:)

Erin Campbell-Pope said...

lol your blog is a fabulous read and I totally love your disclaimer at the top. I can relate to the silence is golden gig and no that does not make you old...that makes you the mother of a rambunctious kiddo just like me :)

Erin

JennyLilac said...

Am I a bad mom because I don't even get batteries for most of those noisy toys? I justify it by saying it allows for more "creative" play.